The Croft Preparatory School logo

The Croft Preparatory School

Dulce et Forte


Please see Mr Cook's end of Lent term message:

Frequently Asked Questions

Parents Ask…


What should I do if I think my child may have a special educational need or disability? Who can I contact for further information?

  • If you are concerned about your child’s abilities, the school will listen to your concerns, discuss them with you and agree on a plan that might only need light monitoring or might require assessment by specialist staff or external agencies.
  • You can contact the school by phone, letter, e-mail (please see contact details on the home page of the school website).
  • You can contact the school through a family friend or professional translator if you feel more comfortable using a language other than English.
  • Talk to your child’s teacher there who can help you look at any issues.


What is an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP)?


  • An EHCP is a legal document that identifies a child’s SEN needs and focuses on the support required to meet agreed outcomes.
  • Statements predate EHCPs. EHCPs are available to a small minority of children with complex needs that have been shown not to respond adequately to the interventions outlined in this document.
  • The key difference between a Statement of SEN and EHCPs is that, as well as the educational elements covered in statements, EHCPs also outline the child’s health and social care needs, outcomes and support.

How will I know if my child needs additional support?

  • The school will always talk to you to let you know if we are proposing to offer your child support that is additional to or different from what is already in place for all mainstream students.
  • Target setting and parent consultation evenings are both opportunities to discuss your child’s progress and needs and to find out about support options.
  • Parents are always welcome to contact their child’s teacher at any time to discuss particular concerns as they arise.

How will I know if the additional support put in place is helping my child?


  • If your child has a cognition and learning need and they are working 1:1 with a SEN Specialist there will be an IEP in place to monitor and track progress.
  • If your child has an IEP these are reviewed twice a year. If they have an EHC Plan these are reviewed twice a year along with the Annual Review of the plan that takes place on a yearly basis.
  • The parents, child, class teacher, subject teacher, teaching assistant as well as any other professionals working with the child and most importantly the child themselves are required to input into every IEP meeting.
  • Standardised testing is used on a whole school basis yearly and at the SEND specialist teachers discretion.

What training is provided for staff supporting children with SEND?


  • All staff receive a comprehensive induction training including key areas such as child protection and behavioural policy.
  • Recent training has included; Practical solutions for Dyslexia, practical solutions for dyslexia reading and spelling.
  • A comprehensive programme of Continuing Professional Development for SEND is planned throughout the year. In the last two years this has included training for all teaching and teaching support staff on Autism Spectrum Conditions, Working Memory difficulties, Differentiation and Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN).
  • In EYFS, the SENDCo regularly meets with staff to update them, and she attends networking meetings run by the Local Authority. Individual members of staff also frequently attend external training to maintain and enhance their personal skills and knowledge.
  • The qualifications the SEND Department hold are:
  • Ms Louise Anstey BSc MA PGCE SENDCo for Early Years, Pre-Prep and Prep and Learning Support Teacher
  • Mrs Catherine Townshend QTS BA (Hons) PGCE OCR SpLD & PG Certificate in Literacy Development, Learning Support Teacher
  • Mrs Helen Foster BSc (Hons), Level 2 Support Teaching & Learning in Schools, Learning Support Assistant
  • Mrs Nita Rouse CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Supporting Teaching & Learning,

Where can I go to find out more information about SEND and support offered in Warwickshire?


What steps should I take if I have concerns about the school’s SEND provision?


  • Parents are encouraged to talk to staff about concerns. We really would rather work with parents to resolve issues at the earliest possible stage. In the first instance, the class teacher is normally the first point of contact.
  • The Headmaster, Deputy Headmaster and SENDCo are all happy to discuss worries or concerns. A copy of the school’s Complaints Policy is on the school website.